Friday, October 23, 2009

The Calm before the Tourist Storm

Empty Beach in Punta del Este, Ready for the Tourist Storm, Uruguay
The beaches around Punta del Este are still secluded and empty. But soon enough, visitors from all over South America will head to the exclusive Uruguayan resort at the Atlantic Ocean. Needless to say that those tourists are mostly upper and upper middle class people because Punta del Este is a first world village devoted to celebrating money. It is the hotbed of Brazilian and Argentine high society, or those who fancy themselves as such. The locals call them chetos, which is just another word for the rich, the snobs and their like. Let's see if they come as numerous as last year.

11 comments:

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

I love the beaches when they are like this. Off season is the best time to visit them.

Leif Hagen said...

Hey - where are all the bikinis?! (A friend wanted me to ask)

Lowell said...

I suppose it's still a bit too cool to really enjoy this gorgeous beach area...

Chetos. That is no doubt a good name for those who consider themselves "high and mighty".

R.Ferrari said...

Uma bela foto do vizinho Uruguai.

lemon said...

I always read you-no need to comment.
I like most of your posts, mostly because of your point of view things...
In fact, yours is the only blog that made me consider about tranlating and posting some of your posts in my greek blog!
Well, today, with this (*)post, I had to tell you all the above!

(*) A post with very nicely described "view" of the local people of a most famous and touristic place!

Rob Siemann said...

I love empty beaches!

peenkfrik said...

The skyline makes it very modern....

I'm curious, are the waters cold or warm?

Luis Gomez said...

Very nice photo of Punta del Este. I don't think I had ever seen it empty.

Andreea said...

Interesting. So ... chetos :) I bet there's a word for this kind of people in many languages in this world, cause they seem to be everywhere :)

EG CameraGirl said...

Ha! But YOU were there too. This year you beat the chetos to the beach. The privileged will walk where you have already walked.

AB said...

Great vista. Our intrepid photoblogger seems to ping-ponging across the River Plate.