The Buenos Aires city flag bears the city coat of arms on a white banner. The original design of the coat of arms dates back to 1580 when it was created by the Spaniard Don Juan de Garay, the city's second founder. The city coat of arms consists of a crowned black full-fledged eagle holding the red cross of Calatrava in his right leg. At his feet are four little eaglets symbolizing the four settlements that were to be founded in the Río de la Plata colony according to an agreement between the Conquistador Juan Ortiz de Zárate and the Spanish King Philip II. Especially noteworthy are two oddities in the design. First, the eagle looks to his left whereas the default position for heraldic animals is right from the shield-bearer's point of view. Second, the eagle wears the royal crown which was a reserved symbol only for the highest nobility. Despite the alleged errors the coat of arms was finally officially approved in 1596.