Thursday, October 22, 2009

Unearthing Literary Gems in El Ateneo Bookstore

Book Shelves in El Ateneo Bookstore in Buenos Aires, Argentina
What is it that makes browsing a bookstore such a great pleasure? What makes it so different from downloading a pdf or ordering a book online? I guess it is the notion of discovery and the physical presence of books. Their feel, smell and disposition can be highly addictive. The bookstore El Ateneo has additionally an atmosphere that enhances these sensations. Its extraordinary history is still present all around. Hard to believe that El Ateneo, this adorable bookstore, ranked only second under the world's top bookshops according to a list published by The Guardian in January 2008.

13 comments:

Lowell said...

Second in the whole world! That's amazing! I could spend weeks there! I love any bookstore, but especially the non-chain ones...oh, what a delight!

Brenda's Arizona said...

This and your previous post have wonderful photos. I can grasp the scent of the books. Thank you for sharing the history of and the current use of this great old building.

Andreea said...

I am a bookstore addict and can't help but going to bookstores everywhere I find one and I have to say that I loved El Ateneo. It's second place is so well deserved and since I didn't get to Maastricht yet it gets first place in my booshop's top.

Three Rivers, Michigan said...

I love bookstores - this one is magnificent! I thought 'that looks like a theater' and then I read your description. What a wonderful place to have nearby! Thank you for the link to the "great bookstores" article.

http://threeriversdailyphoto.blogspot.com

Luis Gomez said...

Love this post. You are so right. It is such a different experience to go inside a bookstore and actually touch the books and see the photos. Really nice.

Prospero said...

I could live in a book store.

Anonymous said...

Don't remind me about the several books I bought from there and some other BA bookstores - most of them are still unread ;(

Rob Siemann said...

I remember your last photo of the Ateneo. And once again, I totally agree with the Guardian!!!

peenkfrik said...

I had to look up the definition of "Ateneo." Here it is a university founded during Spanish colonization period.

Nothing beats owning a copy of your favorite book. :)

Martina said...

What is it that makes well lighted and well framed photos of a bookstore such a great pleasure? :-)

Marie-Noyale said...

The best place I visited for books is Buenos Aires .
You are very lucky!

EG CameraGirl said...

I prefer to touch a book, peek between the covers, read a few pages before I buy a book. I LOVE bookstores.

Anonymous said...

It looks AMAZING!!!!!!!