Saturday, November 28, 2009

Picada à la Argentina

Una Picada, a Typical Argentine Fingerfood, Buenos Aires, Argentina
A picada is a typical Argentine meal or pre-meal and perfectly fits to satisfy a growling stomach. Having it with friends is a fine Argentine tradition. Basically, a picada consists of a selection of hors d’oeuvres to munch on. It can be as simple as a few cold cuts and cheese or very opulent with many different items. This particular picada in the picture had some slices of salami (chorizo and salchichón), cured ham, cheese (Roquefort and Emmental), green and black olives (with pits), leberwurst (liver sausage), Spanish omelet (tortilla de patatas), vegs with mayonnaise and peanuts. It usually comes with bread. Oh, and don't forget to order a bottle of good red wine for you and your friends. That will make this typical Argentine dish even more authentic and tasty.

22 comments:

Andreea said...

Looks really good to me, I would definitely give it a try.

l'alia-du said...

¿Se come despues?, un saludo

Unseen India Tours said...

This is fantastic !!They are doing a great Job !!Unseen Rajasthan

Martina said...

And now I am wondering how and when the German leberwurst did come to Argentina ...

Gunn said...

It is soon time for lunch where I am living....
This photo made me HUNGRY!! :-)

Luis Gomez said...

Perfect! I am ready to eat.

Mirela said...

Looks yummy! And also looks very similar to Croatian appetizers - meat with meat along meat and just a bit more of something else :-D

AB said...

Tapas!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

You wouldn't need an entre after eating all this. Looks delicious.

Lowell said...

All of that looks very tasty and I'd be most happy to try a picada. But I can't imagine being able to eat anything further!

Very nice photo!

Have a super week!

EG CameraGirl said...

Looks like party food to me. ;-)

Rob Siemann said...

Goodness gracious me! Hold on, we're coming! Que approveche!

R.Ferrari said...

Apetitoso.
Deu fome. eheheheheheheh

peenkfrik said...

Very different from the food we eat but definitely something I would love to try. :)

Katie said...

I love picadas! My boyfriend and I do a picada on nights when we don't feel like cooking anything. We like to drink Gancia with our picadas, but I wouldn't pass up red wine. :)

Leif Hagen said...

Delicious photo! Can I join you for lunch!! Happy New Year! I miss your postings! What's up? Hurry back, please!

Lowell said...

I'm with Safe Leif - I miss you, too! Hope that all is well and that you're return to the photo blogging world soon.

TGKeys said...

mmmmmmmmm I had this in Mendoza City in a restaurant and in Buenos Aires in friend's house! LOVED IT!! It is missing a bottle of good Mendoza wine!!

Glennis said...

Looks fantastic, we would call this a platter, I would enjoy eating from this picada specially with a nice drop of red to go with it.

Silvina said...

Instead of wine, try beer. We usually drink beer with picadas ;)

I like your blog!

Biana said...

hmmmm, James that looks really good. Making me hungry. It's kind of like spanish tappas, I love tappas

Anonymous said...

If you are in Argentina, be sure to not die without eating a (dramatic music) BAGNA CAUDA.

Picadas: Be ashamed.