The old Puente Transbordador in La Boca is a famous witness of Argentina's industrial revolution. As a matter of fact it is one of Buenos Aires' best known landmarks and the symbol of La Boca. The bridge was planned as a transporter bridge to link the city of Buenos Aires with the Isla Maciel of the Ciudad de Avellaneda in the province of Buenos Aires. The metallic component parts were built in England and then assembled in situ. In May 1914 the bridge was opened to the public. In 1939 already a replacement bridge was erected only a stone's throw down the Riachelo River. By that time the Antiguo Puente Nicolás Avellaneda, as it is also known, has fallen into disuse. Since 1995 the old transporter bridge is a declared "Site of Cultural Interest".