Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Wheelbarrow BBQ at a Construction Site

Street Asado at a Construction Site in the Once Neighborhood in Buenos Aires, Argentina
If you are a focused, attentive reader you will remember my post about the vast number of construction sites and revitalization works throughout Buenos Aires. This site caught my attention because of the wheelbarrow on fire. Well, the fire wasn't build because it was so cold that day. It was made to have a street version of an asado. The asado is the South American version of the barbecue. It is quite common that construction workers use their wheelbarrow as a parrilla, put charcoal in it, set the stuff on fire, prepare the meat and place the steaks on the preheated grill-wire. What an ingenious misuse of a wheelbarrow!

9 comments:

Rob Siemann said...

...and they exported the idea! I remember seeing some construction workers, south Americans, doing it here last winter.

stromsjo said...

For a moment there I thought you were going to tell us that this is the staff of a restaurant who have taken up a renovation project when the kitchen is not entirely busy! ;)

Prospero said...

And I bet those steaks are pretty good, too.

Lowell said...

It looks like there are two fires going here...and I think it's quite creative and it keeps them at the job site instead of wasting time running around looking for a place to eat...

Great slice of life shot!

AB said...

I get the impression that Argentinians eat nothing but steak - three meals a day, 365 days a year.

RogerB said...

The sexy lady in the background looks hungry too! I think I need to start bringing a wheelbarrel BBQ to work.

Kiwi said...

I like your every day scenes! And I would say ingenious *use* of the wheelbarrow.

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

People really are quite inventive. I never would have thought to use my wheelbarrow as a grill, but then again it is for gardening and made of plastic.

Julie said...

Yes, up there for thinking!! I have never heard that being done here in Australia.