Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Gold of South America

Dulce de Leche 1KG Portions in a Shop Front Display in Buenos Aires, Argentina
This grocery store sells 1kg cans of Dulce de Leche for about U$S6.5. Dulce de Leche is the true gold of South America, gold that is hoarded on your love handles to be exact. The sweet spread consists mainly of three basic components, sugar, milk and fat. It looks and tastes like a crème caramel dessert and can be spread e.g. on bread or toast. Actually, there is hardly a thing Argentinean wouldn't add some Dulce to. They have dulce de leche-flavored ice cream, cookies and cakes and even soda and other beverages.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I love dulce de leche! Great for cholesterol! :-)))

Lowell said...

Hey, when something works, keep it going...I think, though, that I would have to stay away from it (if I could!)...

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful post! I've never heard of dulce de leche before but it sounds delicious!

AB said...

I think I would prefer the olives in the jars. There seems to be an endless variety.

B SQUARED said...

It is everywhere in Ft. Lauderdale. Very rich.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some of the same stuff the ladies use here to make their skin beautiful.

Leif Hagen said...

Great reflective photo! I want to try some DULCE de LECHE! Yumm, yumm!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

I too love dulce de leche. I wonder if the American version tastes as good as the Argentinian version : )

Bob Crowe said...

There are too many posts today with rich food! I've been eating like a starved refugee at my sister's house all weekend. I need to go home and repent. (Although I'm sure to have some of this when I'm in BsAs next year.)