Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Working Hands: Fábrica de Pastas

Fábrica de Pastas: Handmade Pasta in Buenos Aires, Argentina
Making fresh pasta is not all that complicated. It involves typically only a few ingredients but all the more handwork which can be physically demanding on the hands and wrists. This gentleman certainly mastered making pasta from scratch. I so much enjoyed watching him handling the dough mass with his classic pasta machinery. Unfortunately, I just witnessed the penultimate steps - the extruding and drying. Yes, you guessed it, the fan is to dry the pasta.
It's truly amazing to see how food is coming into existence. I really appreciate good old handwork and the care that goes in it. Not to mention the trust it creates on the customer's side.

There's another Working Hands Post on Buenos Aires Perception:
Working Hands: Confitería Argentina

9 comments:

Lowell said...

I agree. It would be much better, most of the time, if you could watch as your food was being prepared.

In many places, I'd be fearful of stepping into the kitchen...'cause I'd probably run away never to darken the door of the place again!

Excellent, slice of pasta shot!

Andreea said...

I would like to see that. I'm a big pasta fan. Even as it sits there drying I find it yummy :)

SimpleTakes said...

oh i wish to be there too... creating things from scratch is such a humbling process i think... it gives each pasta a character too... ;)

EG CameraGirl said...

I very much like fresh pasta. I've made it and admit it's not hard to do but it IS time consuming. How nice this fellow allowed you to take his photo!

AB said...

I wonder - is this a restauarant where you get to taste the outcome of this handiwork-

magicpolaroid said...

wow i like fresh pasta!

Rose Baker said...

Yummie! Your words made my mouth water.... I am off, preparing some fresh pasta ;)

Mike said...

I love pasta. A lot of hard work goes into making it.

Anonymous said...

This looks like a pasta shop to me, not a restaurant. Given our Italian heritage, we eat a lot of pasta in Buenos Aires (I cannot say Argentina because in other provinces pasta is not consumed as much as in B.A). Pasta is particularly consumed on Sundays (when families gather for long lunches), and on every 29th of each month we eat Noquis (Gnocci). Pasta shops like this one, can be found in most neighborhoods. It is always fresh pasta by the way, made on premises.